Sunday, June 21, 2009

numero tres


it rained alllll day. but was a good day because i moved to my new place and have an awesome view of the entire city. my new house is a little more modest, no washer dryer and clothes are hanging to dry everywhere outside my room. my new family consists of the following people...

juan carlos, la papa- he picked me up and like five minutes in asked me if i was philipina and then guessed that i was chinese, surprisingly... this sparks the conversation of the afternoon. in 1999 juan carlos took buses and a ten day trip,...a horrible trip through mexico and snuck across the border. he lived in houstan for 2 years working in construction, at a restaurant, a night club, and i think some sort of curtain company and a cuffling or button factory. the best part was when he goes on this huge tangent describing the chinos en housten who he worked with. he had some great impressions of how los chinos eat and talked, they didn´t speak enlglish or spanish...and how they were very polite. juan carlos got married at 18 and has 3 kids. he told me i could marry a guatemalteco, because he knows a priest in florida who married one.

erica, la mama- got married at age 16 and at 18 had daniel. she called herself the chef, and i asked her if i could learn to cook some meals. her parents are mayan and she can understand quiche, one of the 25 indigenous dialects of guatemala, but can´t speak it.

alma, la abuelita-she talks to me using my name as much as possible instead of ¨tu¨or ÿou¨ maybe because everyone loves the fact that the can now pronounce my name due to the infamous, and my new enemy...hannah montana...alma´s mother was from italy, but she has never traveled there. she has 6 brothers and sisters all nearby.

rel? i can´t remember, la abuelo de juan carlos- is 80 years old. but looks pretty good. likes to ask me questions, but talks too fast for me.

pela, mi hermana menor-age 12, one a two weeks break from school. she doesn´t think that abercrombie and fitch is cool despite what her father tries to tell her...

daniel, mi hermano menor-age 14, wears a backwards baseball cap and doesn´t think that northface is cool despite what his father tells him, so i had to confirm that it was an acceptable brandname. somehow he´s no longer in school but works, not sure what typep of job yet.

fernando, mi hermanito menor-age 4, i haven´t seen him yet because he was napping.

i´m pretty excited to be living with this family, they like to chat and i can understand them more or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment